Finland could have won ESC again...

Ei-vuosikohtaisen viisukeskustelun arkisto.
iceshades
Alaikäinen
Alaikäinen

Finland could have won ESC again...

Viesti Kirjoittaja iceshades »

I feel i have to write this, I don't understand how it could happen...

Hanna Pakarinen won the Finnish final with a song which has too few chances to impress...Lovex and Thunderstone had amazing songs and performances and would have raised a lot the enthusiasm... Lovex was simply stunning, with a song that takes you by storm - exactly what the contest needs! I don't know what happened to the Finns... This band has so many fans in Europe and I could easily see 12 points coming from UK, Germany, Sweden etc. Such shameful decision...
I know it's silly from me to complain about it here, when there's nothing to be done. Well, I just want to say that Finland had a real chance for victory with Lovex representing it....

Alexander
Kanta-asiakas
Kanta-asiakas

Vs: Finland could have won ESC again...

Viesti Kirjoittaja Alexander »

You're not alone with your feelings.. Lovex was amazing indeed! Great package with a very catchy song. So much potential..

..but of course the best song didn't win, we're talking about Finland after all. :hiips:

Annej
Hörppijä
Hörppijä
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annej »

Well..
I agree that with the song the Finns actually selected the chances to be in the top-10 (..or the top-20  :roll:) are pretty narrow.
And her singing was partly off-key aswell.
I'm not even going to start with the windmachines and the dress-thing.. *sighs*  :draamaa:

I liked Thunderstone very much. The band (especially the nice-voiced and really symp.) vocalist did really great job.

About Lovex then, I really think that they'd done better in the actual competition. But where I disagree, is the "stunningness".
The song itself was pretty good, I liked the melody and the bass-part was nice too.
But the.. "vocalist". He just can't
a) sing (or nicely put, his voice is very clamped, and he can't even use that litte part of it right)
b) pronounce English
It isn't necessarily so, that if the vocalist's missing those two qualities, the performance will flop. The show is a great part of the performance, and these boys had that one pretty much in control.
But I don't think that all of the audience is deaf. That much off-key and not having enough capacity to pull the song up at all are the ones that probably sunk this ship.

Well, this is Finland after all.
Välkommen till Sverige  :mrgreen:
Viimeksi muokannut Annej, 18 Helmi 2007, 14:55. Yhteensä muokattu 1 kertaa.
胸に抱きしめて 想いを歌わせて 声にならなくても
Hold my heart - memories are still singing, even though I have no voice.
Yoshiki: Longing ~跡切れたmelody~

JukkaV
Kanta-asiakas
Kanta-asiakas
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja JukkaV »

I think that only possible winner would have been Johanna Kurkela.
Rohkeutta on käytettävä voimavarana, jotta voi pyrkiä inhimillisen elämän järjestämiseen tulevaisuudessakin. :)

Huilumies
Kanta-asiakas
Kanta-asiakas

Viesti Kirjoittaja Huilumies »

Lovex - stunning song? Excuse me? In my opinion, there are only the intro and a small part of the chorus which are worth remembering. Other parts of the song do not musically appeal to me at all, and I do not understand all the fuss about them everywhere. The one of Thunderstone even less, so I think Hanna P was the right winner among these 3. But I also agree with JukkaV that Johanna Kurkela would have had a very good chance to stand out positively in the ESC final.

But Lovex's dresses were nice, good colour and style harmony although each dress was completely different from each other! :peukku:
Viimeksi muokannut Huilumies, 18 Helmi 2007, 18:04. Yhteensä muokattu 1 kertaa.
On siinä hiiltyvä ilta, auringon rusko
Parempien päivien sammumaton usko
On syksyn kuolevaa ruskaa, on elämä tuskaa
Sen huiluni soi...

Katten-Gustaf
Kanta-asiakas
Kanta-asiakas

Viesti Kirjoittaja Katten-Gustaf »

And it's ONLY because you seem to think that every song should sing in its own language.  :heh: I mean that Johanna Kurkela-hype... or what is it called?  :repeilee:
...kan inte säga nej,
jag måste släppa tag,
du vinner över mig...

Milka
Hörppijä
Hörppijä

Viesti Kirjoittaja Milka »

Eurovision winner: "Shut up you stupid brainless person: le topic- commenceuse"

Oukkidoukki, I agree

Jónsì
Kanta-asiakas
Kanta-asiakas

Viesti Kirjoittaja Jónsì »

Lovex was nothing compared to Thunderstone and Hanna. Hanna might not have the best song, but she's one great performer. Yesterday Thunderstone's performance really shook me up. They had the right attitude, but their song wasn't too great.  :heh:

Johanna was great. I loved every second of her performance. Anna Nordell is worth loving though the guys should be quiet.  :heh: I hate her stage name, but hey, it's her choice.
Mistä tän saa poistettua? Apua!

Huilumies
Kanta-asiakas
Kanta-asiakas

Katten-Gustaf kirjoitti: And it's ONLY because you seem to think that every song should sing in its own language.  :heh: I mean that Johanna Kurkela-hype... or what is it called?  :repeilee:
Don't know if your comment was to JukkaV or me or both or perhaps to other Johanna fans too? But, think about this: Lane moje got the 2nd place in 2004 with the similar kind of song. Angel from Malta was 2nd also in 2004 (edit: no, 2005, sorry). And Lejla from Bosnia-H was 3rd in 2006. Got it?
Viimeksi muokannut Huilumies, 18 Helmi 2007, 22:08. Yhteensä muokattu 1 kertaa.
Sen huiluni soi...

rosetta
Kanta-asiakas
Kanta-asiakas

Viesti Kirjoittaja rosetta »

Alina, I don't know where you're from, but so many at least on this board fully agree with you... I would even say the majority. The shock last night was great. But it was probably the "masses" in Finland that voted for Hanna, unfortunately...
Todo en la vida es como una canción
Que cantan cuando naces y también en el adios

(Massiel: La la la)

Katten-Gustaf
Kanta-asiakas
Kanta-asiakas

Huilumies kirjoitti:
Katten-Gustaf kirjoitti: And it's ONLY because you seem to think that every song should sing in its own language.  :heh: I mean that Johanna Kurkela-hype... or what is it called?  :repeilee:
Don't know if your comment was to JukkaV or me or both or perhaps to other Johanna fans too? But, think about this: Lane moje got the 2nd place in 2004 with the similar kind of song. Angel from Malta was 2nd also in 2004. And Lejla from Bosnia-H was 3rd in 2006. Got it?
No, sorry, didn't got it!

1) Malta was 2005 second
2) what does it prove that they scored so well in their own language? Two of them were really Great powerballads, yes the third one too - a ballad, but it was almost a copy of Lane moje. I'm quite suprised that you didn't mention Sanomi too...  :heh:

My point is: even if Johanna would have sang in Finnish, it doesn't mean that she would have scored so well as those three did. Though, we will never find it out, because she didn't get to Hel(l)sinki. Thank God! 

GOT IT?
...kan inte säga nej,
jag måste släppa tag,
du vinner över mig...

exquisite elf
Alaikäinen
Alaikäinen

Viesti Kirjoittaja exquisite elf »

I start to believe in the conspiracy theory:

consider the ridiculous voting system which was either planned by Sonera to scoop the maximum in call charges or else it was an YLE ploy to fool people into believing that their advance vote actually went into deciding the winner.

Attempts to vote yesterday were a hit and miss affair; either Sonera was genuinely overloaded or else Sony BMG Finland's  automatic dial-a-vote  equipment was locked on and blocking everyone else.

The cold fact is that  yesterday evening's "winner"  stands no possible chance whatsoever. My estimate is somewhere below 30, perhaps nearer to last  It's provincial town hotel Friday dance evening stuff where most of the audience are sufficiently inebriated that she could be singing in Swahili and they wouldn't notice. The choreography and body language was in total contradiction to the lyrics (and what little of them there was, could not have consumed much brain power).

It was Black Saturday with an even blacker one in store; there was no ESC winner in the 12 finalists but one of the others could at least have saved Finland from the impending and certain embarrassment that lies ahead. Only the certain traffic chaos around Hartwall Arena will get more smirk's than Hanna diiva's  amateur theatricals.

May there be mercy in the afterlife for YLE, Sonera, SonyBMG and the poor misguided individuals who in a moment of weakness completely forgot that this is a european SONG contest and not Suomen Idols and dialled those fateful #1 votes.

Finland ZERO points,  FINNLAAND ziro points etc etc

JukkaV
Kanta-asiakas
Kanta-asiakas
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja JukkaV »

Garfield: You should remember also French masterpieces 2001 and 2002 too.
Rohkeutta on käytettävä voimavarana, jotta voi pyrkiä inhimillisen elämän järjestämiseen tulevaisuudessakin. :)

Huilumies
Kanta-asiakas
Kanta-asiakas

Katten-Gustaf kirjoitti: 2) what does it prove that they scored so well in their own language? Two of them were really Great powerballads, yes the third one too - a ballad, but it was almost a copy of Lane moje. I'm quite suprised that you didn't mention Sanomi too...  :heh:

My point is: even if Johanna would have sang in Finnish, it doesn't mean that she would have scored so well as those three did. Though, we will never find it out, because she didn't get to Hel(l)sinki. Thank God! 

GOT IT?
It is you who began to talk about languages, not me and not JukkaV.

You seem to agree with us that those were great powerballads and thus got good placements. Fine, we all then agree :mrgreen:

Our point about Johanna was that great power ballads shall not be under-estimated even in these pop times ;)
Sen huiluni soi...

Katten-Gustaf
Kanta-asiakas
Kanta-asiakas

You missed the point, as usual. Why am I not surprised?  :miettii:

JukkaV: 2001 was great too.  :)
...kan inte säga nej,
jag måste släppa tag,
du vinner över mig...

Huilumies
Kanta-asiakas
Kanta-asiakas

Katten-Gustaf kirjoitti: My point is: even if Johanna would have sang in Finnish, it doesn't mean that she would have scored so well as those three did. Though, we will never find it out, because she didn't get to Hel(l)sinki. Thank God! 
You are right, it does not mean necessarily that, but it is very possible that deep, romantic power ballads get good results even in these times. And this was our point.
Sen huiluni soi...

UFOPOLI
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja UFOPOLI »

Well, I also agree on Johanna's wasted potential - even without the English dance remix  :heh:

liana
Alaikäinen
Alaikäinen

Viesti Kirjoittaja liana »

I think we should have picked a Finnish song, for once! It would have been a great opportunity ( since it´s quite clear that we would have not won the competition two times in a row) to show the Europe our own language.

But it is true that the songs were not so great this time... :eiei: I didn´t have any actual favourite, but I also am starting to believe in some kind of conspiracy: The magazines etc. were all so full of Hanna before the competition, thus the soundmix of for example lovex really ruined their songs. Not to mention that Hanna was the only one who really "performed" her song (in addition to johanna...), the other just sang theirs. I think very much the same happened in Swedish finals too, The Ark was the only competitor who had a REAL performance, with the stage and everything supporting it...

The cd-companys or some other mighty-and-powerful organizations are controlling ESC :eeek: :shock: :eeek: :eeek:
Shake it up shake it in
-Turkey 2007

Kollega
Kanta-asiakas
Kanta-asiakas

Viesti Kirjoittaja Kollega »

liana kirjoitti:I didn´t have any actual favourite, but I also am starting to believe in some kind of conspiracy: The magazines etc. were all so full of Hanna before the competition, thus the soundmix of for example lovex really ruined their songs. Not to mention that Hanna was the only one who really "performed" her song (in addition to johanna...), the other just sang theirs.

I don`t think, that there was any kind of conspiracy going on. The fact was clear and simple - the finnish acts were mostly total crap in the eyes of becoming the finnish competitor. There is a slight difference in doing an act on the Eurovison stage versus a normal gig. Hanna, Lovex, Johanna, Laura were all very professional at stage, even though the songs weren`t that good (in my taste anyway). Each of them had something worth critisize, but still an Live act, that wouldn`t made me feel any kind of shame in Helsinki. 

Beats and styles was an affual mess att stage, I almost get an headache from just to remember them. Humane was also kind of a in a need of plenty Eurovisionstage experience. I got the feeling, that with some it was a guestion of being actually interested in marketing their music than becoming the winner in the finnish Eurovision show. Humane made a huge different from the Semi act and showed, that they had clearly thought about how to make their act better.

liana kirjoitti: I think very much the same happened in Swedish finals too, The Ark was the only competitor who had a REAL performance, with the stage and everything supporting it...
I don`t agree with you on that. Not, that I would think, that all of the Melodifestivalen-acts would have been just perfect, but they all were very professionall with the koreograph, cameratiming etc.  I mean, a kind of a ready to go to Helsinki as they are.
What about our Hanna - she still thinks, what to come up in Helsinki...   :miettii: .

Viimeksi muokannut Kollega, 16 Maalis 2007, 19:34. Yhteensä muokattu 1 kertaa.

.rïošhïn.
Baaritiskillä
Baaritiskillä
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja .rïošhïn. »

I find myself not feeling strongly about any of our ESC candidates this year. Last year, Lordi was an obvious choice, yet this year I feel nothing could have been done to add another Finnish success. None of the songs I heard in the qualification shows were good enough to have a chance of succeeding, some were even worse than that. And yet I liked a few of the songs, I just think they're not good enough for the ESC.

However, I don't blame the system YLE has chosen to use; on the contrary, the system is a good one. I think the problem lies more with the recording companies, who get to pick the artists and songs for them, which leads me to wonder if they really want Finland to succeed in the competition or not.

Well, maybe next year they'll pick another set of artists, those people really like (and not those that play in the radio, buffed by the recording companies themselves) with good songs... I hope.
Tumumba, tumayo, gumulong dahil sa iyo
Tumawa, lumuha, nabaliw dahil sa iyo
Kinuha ang wala, nadapa dahil sa iyo
Sumulong, umurong, lumipad dahil sa iyo
Mahal ko
Hahanapin ko kahit saan pa man

Lyrics from Hahanapin Ko by AEGIS

JanNL
Alaikäinen
Alaikäinen

Re: Finland could have won ESC again...

Viesti Kirjoittaja JanNL »

...with Johanna Kurkela. Europe does not like the heavy-trend from Finland. Finland did only win the ESC 2006 because of dresses and maks. I hope Finland returns to normal Finnish- and Swedish language songs instead of Lordi/Lovex/Thunderstone/Hanna-rubbish.

xoda
Hörppijä
Hörppijä

Vs: Re: Finland could have won ESC again...

Viesti Kirjoittaja xoda »

JanNL kirjoitti: ...with Johanna Kurkela. Europe does not like the heavy-trend from Finland. Finland did only win the ESC 2006 because of dresses and maks. I hope Finland returns to normal Finnish- and Swedish language songs instead of Lordi/Lovex/Thunderstone/Hanna-rubbish.
Ah, Jan.  :heh: Look at how Europe has liked our previous entries and compare that to Lordi. You can not say that "Europe doesn`t like the heavy trend" etc. And Lordi succeeded in selling records as well.

It does seem though, that Johanna Kurkela might have done better. But hey, having read the internet message boards, I don`t think Europeans are as civilized as I thought, so I don`t see pleasing them as an important thing anymore. Hopefully it will take a long time when Finland wins again.
Viimeksi muokannut xoda, 13 Touko 2007, 16:25. Yhteensä muokattu 1 kertaa.

JanNL
Alaikäinen
Alaikäinen

Re: Finland could have won ESC again...

Viesti Kirjoittaja JanNL »

Lordi was an incident :
1. Hard rock fans all over Europe were mobilized to vote for Europe
2. Viewers fed up with the ESC voted for the biggest anti-song of the contest.

Turkey and several other countries get their televotes through the diaspora. This year just like last year Turkey got the 12 from the Netherlands and the 10 from Armenia.

xoda
Hörppijä
Hörppijä

Viesti Kirjoittaja xoda »

Jan, are you saying that Lordi won because of masks, or because of metal fans?

Who are you to say why people voted for Lordi, or liked them? I`m sure there were different reasons. And Hard Rock fans have the right to vote and like their kind of music. And it`s arrogant to call it rubbish!

Do you complain about other countries entries as much as about Finlands? It`s ok to tell your opinion, as long as you remember that it`s just your opinion, and the world doesn`t have to act accordingly.

Lukittu